Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Hair Chronicle

First off I thought you all would enjoy these 2 pictures! I had my hair dome in "corn rows"(it hurt so bad!)in Hawaii in 2003 for fun, not as cute with such pale scalp - but my hair has never been so small! The other picture is the after I took the braids out - pretty funny, Seth had to snap a picture before I washed it out!
MY HAIR used to be such a hard thing for me to deal with, only my mom can truly understand because she was there every time I had a breakdown about it! My poor mom wanted so badly to help me, but being someone who has stick straight hair that can hardly hold curl she was definitely lost when it came to my unruly curly hair! I experienced many hard haircuts and being teased about how big my hair was! A kid who sat behind me in a high school class actually asked the teacher if they could change their seat because they could not see past my hair! And another girl asked if my dad was black, my hair was so kinky! So my mom and I tried almost everything to make me happy about my hair! I got pretty good at doing it curly, but I remember the day I came home after having my hair professionally styled straight to show my mom and she actually cried! She was so happy for me! And then when I washed it a couple days later and couldn't get it straight myself she helped me do the best job we could! Now I can do it by myself (Aren't you glad mom?) it just takes awhile!
So this picture is in response to the challenge from Kyra(who by the way has perfect hair, I challenge her to find a bad hair picture of herself - I betcha she can't!) to post my worst hair picture. I think we all got on this because we have all had haircuts we weren't to happy with, mine are due usually to the person who trys to style it after getting it cut! No not me, yes there was a time that I did not know how to do my hair (I will post those pictures later, I have to scan those in - they are before digital!) but I don't know why licensed hair dressers don't know how to style curly hair! It is ridiculous! I've really only had 1 hairdresser who has done a good job, I loved her! I used her for a few years, luckily around the time we got married - she did exactly what I wanted for my wedding! But I no longer live close to where she is(if she is still there)or have the $ to get her service! So I make do with cutting it myself, which I did a few months ago - wasn't so bad if I say so myself! Or going to some cheap place like Fantastic Sam's, yeah I know - not smart! But at least I have learned to not let them style it! Example this picture(I know not having makeup on is not helping this picture either but oh well! LOL!)! This pictures is from a few years ago when I got a cut at Fantastic Sam's. I was in a hurry to get to a birthday party so I made the mistake of letting them try to style it! The lady convinced me she knew how to do it, she started brushing it and blow drying it, and started getting bigger and bigger until I realized she did not know what she was doing! I finally stopped her before it got even bigger(I don't know what she was trying to do, but all I could see was frizz!) and left to go home to wash it and style it myself! But I took a picture before for Seth to see and now you can all enjoy!
Curly hair can be a wonderful thing(as long as you know how to do it) but the trick is keeping it long. Well this last Monday I went to get my haircut at FS's and told the lady I wanted it layered(like usual) - she asked "short or long layers" and I said LONG! Well I now wonder what short layers would have been! When I styled my hair curly afterwards it was so short! Especially in some spots and it looks like a ridiculous curly muffin top!! So for the next few months you'll see me with straight hair, I took a picture of my hair straight for you to see - see the short pieces? Just imagine that curly! ANYWAYS I now have what was called the "Rachel" haircut, you know the one popular in the late 90's from Friends? Yep, that's my hair! Check it out...I'm bringing it back in style! :) It is actually growing on me though, I'm just so glad I can do my hair straight! Hope you have all enjoyed the hair chronicles, I will post the sequel "My younger hair days" when I get them scanned in!

13 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh Heather, I am so sorry that you have had a bad Fantastic Sam's haircut. I actually remember going (I think walking) with you to the Fantastic Sam's by Ralph's to get your hair cut. Actually, your hair looks really good in the picture. I can't imagine it curly though. Your hair is definetely the most famous hair in my mind. I love it!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Yeah, I am so happy that you did this too. How fun!
I totally understand about not understanding your hair growing up. I had curly hair all growing up and never figured it out or how to do it till I graduated from High School, I looked nasty through High School with no makeup, dressing like a tomboy and my naturally curly hair that I combed straight and could not figure out why it just poofed up and was so fuzzy. Seriously, pro hair people need to understand the curly hair thing, SERIOUSLY!!! I am glad that I know how to straighten my hair myself now and how to do it curly if I want to. FINALLY!!!
So anyway, I kinda know your pain.

The Bills Bunch said...

OH MY HOLY HANNAH!!!! THIS STORY MADE ME CRY!!!! POOR HEATHER, WE TRIED ALL THOSE YEARS. ONCE, SHE TRIED TO BLOW DRY IT OUT. I ENDED UP CALLING LORRIE MOORE ASKING HER WHERE HER HAIR DRESSER WORKED. SHE TOLD ME NORCO! I GOT HEATHER IN ON AN EMERGENCY BASIS AND THE LADY TRIED HER BEST TO MAKE IT BETTER! I WAS HOPING THAT A NORCO PERSON MAY BE SUCCESSFUL WITH THE HORSE STRAIGHTENING STUFF!!!! I'M GLAD HEATHER KNOWS HOW TO WORK WITH HER HAIR. IT WAS ONLY CUTE WHEN SHE WAS NEWBORN-4 ISH! REDHEADS GET A LOT OF ATTENTION, THEN PEOPLE START TO LOOK AT "US" LIKE WE'VE PASSED THE CUTE STAGE AND NOW REALLY HAVE TO WORK WITH OUR "ASSETS!" SO THAT'S MY MEMORIES OF HEATHER AND HER HAIR FROM HELL. ERIN HAD THE BASS VOICE FROM HELL. AMBER....SHE WAS JUST TOO SMART FOR HELL! HMMM...WONDER WHERE TRENT GETS IT FROM??? LOVE, MOM!

The Bills Bunch said...

OH MY HOLY HANNAH! THIS STORY MADE ME CRY!!!! REDHAIR IS CUTE FROM NEWBORN TO 4 YEARS AND THEN "WE" HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO CONTROL THE BEAST! I REMEMBER WHEN HEATHER HAD TRIED TO STRAIGHTEN HER HAIR. IT WAS A MESS AND I CALLED A FRIEND. I GOT HEATHER AN EMERGENCY APPT WITH A HAIRDRESSER IN NORCO. I THOUGHT MAYBE SHE KNEW ABOUT THAT TAMING HORSE TAIL STUFF!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO GLAD SHE KNOWS HOW TO DO HER HAIR NOW. I TRY TO GET MINE TO CURL, AND SHE TRIES TO CONTAIN IT! IT'S LIKE THE SOUND OF MUSIC SONG...HOW DO YOU TAME A REDHEAD NAMED HEATHER? SING IT TO THE TUNE OF HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE MARIA? I LOVE HER AND I THINK SHE GOT MY RED HAIR GENE, THE CURLS HAVE TO BE FROM HER DAD! LOVE, MOM!

The Bills Bunch said...

OKAY, I HEAR ALL OF YOU....I'M NOT A BLOG HOG. JUST TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. I WILL CONTAIN MY COMMENTS IN THE FUTURE!
MOM

The Bills Bunch said...

I'M TRYING TO SEND A PICTURE I HAVE OF BROOKE. MY NIECE LIVES NEXT TO HER IN CEDAR HILLS. I STOPPED BY TO SAY HOWDY. I'M TRYING TO GET THE PICTURE POSTED ON MY BLOG. IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT, GO TO THE BILLS BUNCH FROM HEATHERS. JANINE BILLS
SORRY BROOKE!

Traci Elizabeth said...

Heather...your hair looks so beautiful straight!!!

Brooke said...

Heather, my bad hair picture is apparently posted on your mom's blog. I can't believe she posted it. I'm going to have to get her back. Do you have any really unflattering pictures of your mom that I can post on my blog? Just kidding (sort of).

The Bills Bunch said...

I'VE DELETED THE PICTURE OF BROOKE. BUT I THINK SHE LOOKED GOOD TOO. I DON'T THINK IT WAS FAIR OF ME TO BLINDSIDE HER. SORRY BROOKE! NO ONE CAN SEE IT, BUT SHE WAS CUTE! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT HEATHER COMES UP WITH. I'M SURE IT WILL BE A DOOZIE, BUT I DESERVE IT! JANINE

melissa gargalis said...

Heather your hair is fabulous. I love the bad hair day pics. I wonder if I've got some caught on film. Probably my ones with bangs-good times. I'll see what I can find =) I love the Valentines action.

Niki McDowell said...

I don't know your bad hair day doesn't look so bad at least to poor Sarah's incident. I love your hair though!

The Gray Family said...

love the pictures Heather! The bad hair one makes me laugh :>)It looks fabulous now though! I like the Valentine's look...

M said...

great monologue Heather, bad hair is something we all have to suffer the memories of... my hair has been so many colors over the years, my kids go crazy when they see the blonde pictures... they don't beleive it is me! and then the drama of going grey at 20 - sheesh, and for some reason since we moved to UT my hair got curly... I am a former straight haired gal, and so this curly stuff is new to me, my hair used to never even hold a perm... and don't get me started on my kids, who all have different textures of hair, I guess we are the melting pot of hair in this house... thanks for the laughs and I LOVE the conversation hearts... love ya, Michelle