Friday, December 5, 2008

Bittersweet Thanksgiving


That is vinyl lettering I have in my kitchen that helps me remember how bratty I can be and at the same time makes me feel more grateful for what I have. It holds a special Thanksgiving memory for me. When I was younger at a family Thanksgiving gathering my Grandma Bills who passed away a few years ago wanted all of her granchildren to sing this phrase in a round(like Row, row, row your boat) before we ate. Well we all thought it was funny to just chant "For health and strength" over and over again, she wasn't too happy about it and let us know how bratty we were. We really were!
I haven't done a post in a little bit and wanted to do a Thanksgiving post, but with all the festivities I did not get ANY pictures!!! But I cannot let Thanksgiving go by without saying how grateful I am for everything!!!

I'm especially grateful for...

1. My Savior and his plan for us
2. My wonderful husband and all that he does
3. Our family and the support they have given us
4. Our friends and the fun we have with them
5. Our health and strength
6. Our sweet little guy who will be here soon
7. The roof above our heads
8. The little things that don't really matter, but make me happy!

I could go on and on, but those about sums it up! We are so blessed and I'm glad we were able to feel the real spirit of Thanksgiving this year and share it with our families. Thanksgiving day was spent at the Station where Seth works, he was scheduled to work and it was nice to be able to go help him get a Thanksgiving dinner together and spend time getting to know the crew he works with there. It was a really nice, relaxing day. The next day we hosted a Thanksgiving dinner for both of our families at our home, I got a lot of help this year (I usually like to do it all myself) and it was nice to have the help! I might never go back to how I used to do it, I must have been crazy!! :) It was a really bittersweet day, not only cause I accidently dropped a hot bowl of melted bittersweet chocolate that went ALL OVER my kitchen 2 hours before everyone got there!!! I was really not doing so good at that moment, had a big breakdown - now I'm a little upset that I didn't get a photo of it cause it was BAD! There are still marks on my ceiling... my wonderful husband really stepped up and talked me down from my ledge and then cleaned up the HUGE mess for me. I think that is what love is! We ended up having a wonderful dinner and a day full of fun and games! Near the end of the day my grandma let us know that she found out that she has cancer. They still don't know how bad it is and she will be having an operation soon. My poor grandparents have really been dealing with a lot of health issues that comes with age and it is hard to watch and honestly even deal with... I usually feel lost in these situations, I have learned to turn to faith though. I'm just glad we were able to be together as a family when they told us and that my husband could stand and help to bless her, that was the really bittersweet part. All I can say is that I'm so thankful for our trials and the blessings we receive from them and I hope this will be another good lesson for me. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

The Gray Family said...

I hope your grandma gets better....stiff like that really DOES make me feel bratty for complaining about my petty little problems! And props to Seth for cleaning up the mess :>)

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Wow, that is a good post, your family seems so great and I am so glad that you are all able to get together and do dinners like this.
Sorry about your spill, that would devistate me as well!
Hope your Grandma gets through this in a flash and that it all goes well! I hate seeing people get old!

kori said...

Sorry about your Grandma..It's hard watching those we love get old. We have all had days when we've needed to be talked down from a ledge, Good thing Seth is a fireman and not afraid of heights :) Anyways happy holidays. we all have so much to be grateful for.

Natalie said...

I'll remember to keep your Grandparents in my prayers. You have such an amazing attitude about life and trials. I learn so much from you and I cherish our friendship. Thanks for posting...

Anderson Family said...

Heather I admire how much faith you have and the way you turn to it during times of need. I know it will comfort you and your family during this time.