Monday, October 27, 2008

Sew Fun!

This month I have been learning how to sew! My mom bought me a machine for Christmas almost 5 years ago! I had made pillows for a place I worked at, but that is all that poor machine has seen! She had also bought me a pattern and fabric to make Seth pj pants and those have been stored away all lonely too! I had actually gotten the pattern out to do awhile ago, but I was so confused by the pattern jargon! So my mom came over and taught me how to cut out patterns correctly and how to make my machine work properly! It is so fun! I feel so crafty! That first day she coached me along and I finally made the pj pants for Seth!

Me at my machine working on the pants!

The finished product! Yay! Felt so good to accomplish that!

My Mom and her "Smart" Machine! This thing is so awesome! She hemmed Seth's temple pants for him and they turned out so good!
So after I got done with the pants I decided that I would probably need help doing another sewing project I had purchased... a Renaissance costume! Yeah I know, quite a jump - what was I thinking?! We go to the Renaissance Faire every year and I've always wanted a costume, so I went and got a pattern and material earlier this year and it too has just been sitting there! So since I had a little more pattern experience we got it out that day and started to cut out the patterns... well I had purchased the wrong size!!!! Argh! I am definitely not a size 18-22! So we decided to call it a day until I had the right size! Well I found it online at www.butterick.com and since I opened a new account I got the pattern for free!!! It was $14 at Joann's! So I got it a week later and went over to my Mom's to cut out the pattern and material! That took us a little while, so I decided to try the skirt and shirt on my own and then I would comeback to my Mom's to make the vest, that one was going to be harder! I actually was able to make the shirt and skirt on my own! My Mom helped me hem the skirt but she said she was amazed that I was able to do the other stuff on my own! Me too! I think it helps to stare at the pattern and directions for long periods of time until you go crazy... then take snack break and a nap, then come back and all of a sudden it makes more sense!!!! LOL! So this last Thursday and Friday I went to my Mom's for a few hours to do the vest, it was a lot harder! I'm glad we had her machine to do it! I basically watched and learned, it was cool to watch it come together! Then I took it home and added the rivets so it could be laced up and then my Renaissance costume was complete!!!

This is it all finished!!!

Me at the Renaissance Faire on Saturday, we got it done in the nick of time!

We thought this would be a good picture! My baby bump was a little strange in the costume! One of my next projects is going to be a costume for Seth and the baby for the next Renaissance Faire!

Thanks Mom for all your help, I had a lot of fun hanging out and learning from you! Love you!

14 comments:

The Bills Bunch said...

YOU'RE VERY WELCOME! You really picked up on sewing quickly. I'm proud of you and the vest looks fantastic!!! Good job on the rivets!
Nice cleavage too! MOM

The Bains said...

Holy cow! Your baby bump is huge! You have popped out all of the sudden yeah? I do not remember your belly being like that at Autumn's bday party. WOW! So cool to finally see you like this. What a blessing. Your costume looks beautiful and better you than me for learning to sew. I leave it to Tracy, Cheryl and Mom! In fact, I just gave Cheryl and Mom both new projects for me yesterday - hee hee!

What are you going to make your baby? Have you started knitting a blanket yet?

LOVE YA!

Erin said...

The outfit turned out so awesome! I am so jealous of your ability to pick up crafty things so easy!
You look great in it, and I love the baby bump!!

Vanessa said...

OH MY GOSH, HOW CUTE IS YOUR BELLY!!! You look so amazing in your outfit! You did awesome!

The Woot-en Clan said...

You look so cute:) I love the dress. You are so talented. I can barely sew a hole in a pair of pants. I will need to learn from you one day :)

Traci Elizabeth said...

great job! Kori and i were just commenting on how low you are carrying the baby! You look super cute.

melissa gargalis said...

Heather i am so impressed!!! Way to go. You are awesome. I still haven't conquered how to sew clothes, and patterns are totally confusing. I am always so scared to cut out something wrong. I am impressed, keep on sewing.

Anonymous said...

SO CUTE!! Your mom is VERY SWEET and hey..at least you got to learn some sewing tips!! HA!! Your belly is TOTALLY coming out now! I LOVE IT!! ;) You look LOVELY in your GOWN!! HA!

Natalie said...

sooooo FREAKING CUTE! i LOVE THE BABY BUMP AND GOOD JOB WITh THE SEWING PROJECTS. You are awesome.. Anything you decide you want to do and you get it super fast. Amazing.

Melissa said...

So impressive! You did an awesome job and I love that little belly bump!

Sara said...

what a darling little baby belly that is! i'm so excited to meet your little guy.

The Gray Family said...

I am very impressed! Your costume turned out great (although amazing, it is not quite as cool as Seth's Dora costume....). Looking cute!!!

Todd + Emily said...

Im Jealous!!! Your so crafty!! I can't believe you made those your self!!! Your baby bump is sooooo cute to by the way!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Totally impressive how you learned to sew so fast. I want to learn again soon, I totlly have forgotten how and I do have a machine.
Your stuff looks so good, you look so cute and love the baby bump you are starting to look prego for dang sure now! LOVE IT!